President's Message   |   Committee   |   Membership   |   Contact Us   |   Feedback   |   Home

Follow us on:   Facebook    
                    Forgot your password?
Home » Arthritis Info » What is a Rheumatologist? »  

What is a Rheumatologist?

17 September 2010

Rheumatologists are specialist physicians who have had extra training to become experts in diagnosing and treating arthritis and other rheumatic diseases. The rheumatologist will work closely with you, your GP and other specialists, to find out what is wrong with you and then plan your management.

Most of the rheumatologists are attached to the rheumatology unit of a hospital, although a few may only work at a clinic.

A typical rheumatology unit comprises of   rheumatologists, physiothearpists, occupational therapists and other health professionals such as podiatrists, dietitians, psychologists and medical social workers.

Physiotherapists are trained in the physical treatment of rheumatic disorders and use a combination of exercise, special treatment techniques and advice to treat the condition.

Occupational therapists advise you on how to get on with day to day activities and education on joint protection.

  printer Printer-friendly version   printer Send link to a friend

| | | |
© Copyright Malaysian Society of Rheumatology (MSR) 2010    All rights reserved.
designed & maintained: mobition
Website Security Test